The Founding

The Winnipeg Construction Association was founded as the Winnipeg Builders Exchange, just as the city was to embark on a ten-year construction boom. Its primary purpose was the ‘exchange’ of construction information and plans, and to facilitate the tendering process.

1904

The Incorporation

Winnipeg Builders Exchange was formally incorporated. With a membership of 400, Winnipeg boasted the largest exchange on the North American continent.

1910

The First Permanent Residence

Winnipeg Builders Exchange constructed a permanent residence at 290 Burnell Street. Winnipeg and Brandon Bid Depositories Systems formed.

1956

The Name Change

Winnipeg Builders Exchange changed its name to Winnipeg Construction Association to reflect its broader role in representing the industry.

1978

The Start of Safety

WCA was instrumental in establishing the first comprehensive safety program for the province’s building construction industry. Housed at the WCA offices, and funded by a special levy on Workers Compensation Premiums, the safety program staff offers programs from basic first aid to certified (COR) safety programs for construction companies.

1989

The Expansion

A third renovation and expansion to 290 Burnell added much needed office space, housing the safety program, WCA administration, and several tenants.

1993

The Information Age

The WCA developed the Online Planroom – a private internet portal used by members to obtain project information, view plans and specs, and receive addenda.

2002

The Resurgence

WCA membership hit 400 for the first time since 1910.

2004

The Here and Now

WCA purchased and renovated a new office building at 1447 Waverley Street, allowing extra office space for WCA and Construction Safety Association of Manitoba staff, and more opportunities to host education and industry meetings in the Construction Education Centre.

2011